Day 1: Drive to Erta ale(200 Km asphalt & 45km sand road, total 245km from Mekele)
After having an early breakfast (possible at 06:30) you will drive to Erta ale, (195Km from Abala).
Up on arrival at Dodom take rest, relax & fill your energy for trek to Erta ale (17Km from Dodom) that takes approximately 3 hrs trekking.
Early dinner around 17:00 then as the sun sets, you leave behind the cars, use Camel to transport all the camping materials and some food (sleeping materials like light mattresses, mat and water) to the rim of the volcano,where you spend the night watching the dramatic action of the boiling lava. Erta ale ranks one of the most alluring and physically challenging natural attractions anywhere in Ethiopia. It is a shield volcano with a base diameter of 30 km and 1km square caldera at its summit. Erta Ale contains the world’s only permanent lava lake.Overnight at the rim of the Volcano.
Day 2: Drive to Mekele via Abala (245 KMS)
Early the next morning, you will descend from Mount Erta ale, returning to the base camp Dodom for a well-earned breakfast.
After having a breakfast & brief break you will drive to Mekele (240 Km from Erta ale) via the small towns of Aabala and Erepti.
$450 for option two (Erta Ale/Volcano)
4 days tour start at Mekele & finish at Mekele.
Group Size: 1-5 Pax
• vehicle latest model Toyota with Experienced English speaking driver throughout the Tour.
• All Entrance fees and licenses as per the program.
• Accommodation and all meals throughout the tour.
• Non-Alcoholic Beverages with meals as per the program and plenty bottles of water for the trip.
• Surface Transport expense with four wheel drive Land cruiser including fuel expense and drivers allowance
• Local guide service for the afar region as per the program.
• Cooking, camping equipment,
• Scout and police service in Afar Region as per the program.
• Camel and Camel tires in Afar Region as per the program.
• Experienced cook throughout of the tour as per the program.
• Government Taxes-VAT.
• For the duration of the trip we are responsible for all meals, waters entrance fees, accommodation, security, and transportation. Duration – two days from Mekele to Mekele.
Danakil Deperssion (Dallol & Earta ale) security is a safe area. Mobile coverage is now available in the camping site of Hamed Ela village, Dallol area and on the road between Hamed Ela to Erta ale volcano. Tours travel in convoy and it is prerequisite to have security (Soldiers, & local Militants) when visiting the Danakil.